Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Angels Along Our Path

                                                         

       God places certain people in our lives to guide us along our path.  I was blessed to be able to once again see one of these special individuals, recently.
     Sr. Nora Brick is a Franciscan nun that has been working with the migrant community for many decades.  I met her 30 years ago when she was working in Wauchula, FL.  She lived in a small "convent" (house) with two other sisters.  I was contemplating becoming a nun, and it was arranged that I would spend one weekend a month with the sisters, and do what they did.  I would eat, pray and work alongside of them and see how they lived their lives.
     She had a wonderful rapport with the people.  They knew that she loved and truly cared for them, and they loved her, too.  She is a wonderful example and role model for how to love and respect God's children.
     Sr. Nora is now in her 80's and still enthusiastic about working with the poor.  Because of health issues, she now has to retire.  My dear friend P.H. met her a few months ago, and brought me over to see her before she moves to the retirement home.
     I haven't seen Sr. Nora in almost 25 years.  Although older, she was the same sweet lady that I knew so long ago.  With a little bit of help, but she remembered me.  She held my hand as we sat and talked with two other sisters and P.H..  I was able to share with her what a blessing she had been in my life, and an influence in my walk with Christ.  What a gift it was to me, to be able to tell her that.
     The sweet nun began to tell us of how she believed that God's angels are all around.  I hadn't thought of angels in a long time.  She was right...they are.  The Bible speaks of angels among us.  Although we can't see them, they are there, protecting us and defending us against the forces of evil.  God sends us these beings of the heavenly realm to bless our lives.  To me, He also sends us other 'angels'....people with heaven in their hearts.  They are there to guide us to our Creator and help us to know Him in a more personal and intimate way.
     I had asked the sisters about a particular nun...Sr. Mairead (pronounced Mah-rayed).  She was my directress for almost 4 years.  What a special and godly woman.  She was one of the strongest influences in my adult Christian life.  She was the one that taught me about having a relationship with Christ, and how important daily quiet time and prayer were.  The sisters told me that she was now living in the retirement home, due to a diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer's Disease. I ask that you please say a prayer for this wonderful woman of God.  She was indeed an angel in my life.
     How many 'earthly angels' has God placed along your path?  Was it a parent or grandparent?  A teacher or coach?  Take time today to think of them, and say a prayer of thanks for the influence they've had in your life. 
                                           
Philippians 1:3  I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,
Hebrews 13:2  Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
       

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...