Tuesday, October 4, 2011

More Precious Than Silver

                                                                
Love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths.
No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century.
                                       Mark Twain


October 4, 1986...the day my life and name changed forever.  The day I went from Peggy Just to Peggy Pyles...the day I became Steve's wife.

Twenty five years, a quarter of a century...today is our silver wedding anniversary.    Did you ever wonder why they call it a 'silver' anniversary?  I'm not sure where it came from, but I have a few ideas!

Silver is an ancient metal.  Pure silver is mixed with other metals like copper and gold, and then processed. It has to be heated and smelted to remove it's impurities.  After a time, the result is beautiful and precious.

In Chemistry, the periodic table symbol for silver is Ag.  Here are a few 'Ag' words that may describe the events in a 25 year old marriage.

Agreement.  When two people decide to marry, they 'agree' to live their lives together forever.  They don't know what is in store for them, in the future.  They set out together, looking ahead. Their love is as fresh as pure silver.

Agitating.  The little things that get to them.  He won't pick up his dirty socks.  She wants him to go to the mall right before the big game.  Little things...that could become big things, if they aren't careful.  It is combining of two different metals...mixing and molding them into one.

Aggressive.  The arguements that are bound to come.  They each wonder if they have made the right decision.  What were they thinking?  They didn't bargin for this...this wasn't part of the marital vows, was it?  Are you supposed to put up with someone who is so bullheaded?  Their marriage is in the fire. 

Agonize.  It's 2 a m and the baby has a high fever.  They wish they could trade places.  They pray. The silver is being extracted.

Many people have wondered over the years how Steve and I could possibly get along...we are complete opposites. I'll answer that question.  From the time I met Steve, I saw someone who was kind, loving and true.  We have very different personalites and interests.  Yet, when it came to difficult times, I always saw the real Steve. I knew he loved me from the bottom of his heart.  I believe that God gave me the ability to see him as He sees him.

Real, endearing love doesn't happen when a ring goes on a finger.  It develops over time, through blending, fire and extraction.  It is cultivated with the tools of respect, thoughtfulness and compromise.  Marriage is hard work.  You never get a day off.  But the benefits are wonderful.

For those of my friends who have lost as spouse through separation or divorce, my heart truly aches for you.  For reasons that may not have been under your control, your world was crushed. Know that God sees your pain, and loves you with an Everlasting Love.  For those of you who have lost a dear spouse through death..you know what I am talking about.  No words can truly comfort you.  You long for the day when you will be reunited with your sweetheart.  God sees your broken heart and waits for you to lean on Him.

Oh...I have one last Ag word:  Ageless  The result of the refining process, repeated countless times over the years.  That result is an everlasting love that stands the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...